- It started when Alice Dreger’s 9th-grade son came home from school and told her that his sex education class was going to be focusing on abstinence. Dreger took a seat in the corner and brought out her laptop. And then she began to tweet.
What happened when a medical professor live-tweeted her son’s sex-ed class on abstinence (Washington Post)
"You'll find a good girl. If you find one that says 'no,' that's the one you want." HE ACTUALLY JUST SAID THAT.
— Alice Dreger (@AliceDreger) April 15, 2015
- A sad day for slutwear: Frederick’s of Hollywood Group Inc., a Los Angeles lingerie brand, has closed all of its stores and will do business only online. Born out of the World War II pinup craze, the company was the brainchild of Frederick Mellinger. He initially opened a lingerie business in New York before moving the shop, renamed Frederick’s of Hollywood, to Los Angeles in 1947. Despite Mellinger’s famous quote that “sex never goes out of fashion,” the company fell behind competitors.
Frederick’s of Hollywood closes all stores, strips down to Web (LA Times, thank you Cyrus!)
- “I had seen in the flesh what a simple ‘I have herpes‘ could do when said fearlessly, without shame,” Ella Dawson wrote. “Because when a real person — a woman you know and respect — casually mentions having herpes, it stops being a punchline and starts being someone’s reality.”
Meet the woman who tells everyone, ‘I have genital herpes’ (Washington Post)
- Instagram has clarified its community guidelines to better explain its policies around pornography and harassment. The social network has specifically banned “close-ups of fully-nude buttocks” — but said it would continue to allow photographs of post-mastectomy scarring and women breastfeeding.
Instagram bans ‘fully-nude’ buttocks (Wired UK)
- The war on sex work is a war on women: In May 2013, Monica Jones, a student and LGBT activist at Arizona State University, was arrested for “manifesting prostitution.” According to the FBI, police arrested over 57,000 people on such charges in 2011. The vast majority were women.
Molly Crabapple: How police profile and shame sex workers (Fusion)
- A Japanese artist currently on trial for obscenity over vulva sculptures says her arrest shows how far behind her country is in terms of sexual equality. She was arrested last year after building a kayak shaped like her vulva and for emailing plans of the boat, which included pictures of her scanned genitalia, to others. If convicted of distributing or holding obscene images for the purposes of selling, Igarashi could face up to two years in prison and a fine of up to £13,400 (2.5m Yen).
This woman faces two years in jail for making a vulva canoe (Independent UK)
- Opponents of revenge porn laws warn that the spate of new legislation endangers free-speech laws. The ACLU has raised concerns about First Amendment rights and has cautioned against making revenge porn a felony, instead suggesting civil remedies.
Could All These New Revenge-Porn Laws Actually Be a Bad Thing? (NY Mag: The Cut)
- According to the company, Ashley Madison is the second most profitable dating enterprise on the internet, second only to Match. That’s why it’s reportedly preparing to go public in the hope of raising $200 million to fund international expansion.
Ashley Madison IPO proves Adultery is big business (Engadget)
- “Sing What Happens” is a show in which a male singer performs karaoke while a ladyfriend performs… an accompanied instrumental on the skin flute (she jacks him off).
The Japanese Game Show Where Guys Sing While Getting Jerked Off (Amped Asia)
- Veteran adult performer Justine Joli’s move into manufacturing and distributing pot-infused edible products, namely marijuana jerky, is (bizarrely) seeing porn and marijuana hailed as “the new business bedfellows” by CNBC.com. Three years ago, Joli, who has performed in about 250 adult films, started up Green Fairy Edibles; today, the star plans on moving away from porn, dissolve her adult website and invest hardily into Green Fairy Edibles. “I’m doing what most entrepreneurs do,” she told CNBC.com. “I’m selling off my life and going all in. … One day of making jerky [makes me] the exact same amount I would make on set.”
CNBC: Porn, Pot Are the New Business Bedfellows (XBIZ)
- A chiropractor in the small town of Lamoni, Iowa, has had his license pulled after being accused of trading services for sex with clients and for performing exorcisms, reports KCCI. The board also stated that Manuel had instructed some of his patients to stop taking their prescribed medications.
Iowa chiropractor gets license yanked for performing exorcisms and trading services for sex (Raw Story, via Mistress January)
- Free The Nipple (the film) follows a group of young women who take to the streets of New York City topless, to protest the archaic censorship laws in the United States. Activist Liv and With set out to start a movement and change the system through publicity stunts and graffiti installations while armed with First Amendment lawyers. The film explores the contradictions in our media-dominated society, where acts of violence and killing are glorified, while images of a woman’s nude body are censored by the FCC and the MPAA (as well as social media websites).
Free The Nipple (Unscathed Corpse)
- In 1978, the CIA was caught up in a BDSM Cold War affair. A potential Soviet asset had fallen for a professional dominatrix who made decent money peeing on entertainment lawyers. Also in play was Mary Tyler Moore’s landscaper, merely because he was sweet on the dominatrix and her record collection.
How a pro-domme, a Russian diplomat, U.S. intelligence and Mary Tyler Moore’s landscaper conspired to create a dance classic (JWZ)
- Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner, who has appeared in all seasons of the popular show, said she stopped her mother in her tracks when she attempted to have a conversation with her about sex when she was 16. “I said, ‘This isn’t necessary, I know everything. I know every single thing that a person can do – and more’. The show is very inventive.”
Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner ‘didn’t need sex education talk’ because of ‘inventive’ script (Independent UK)
- Orphan Black erotic fanfic?! Of course! I’m a huge fan of the show, and not surprisingly, so is Autostraddle… To get you in the mood to make crazy (nasty) science, or just for the premiere of the new season this weekend, Autostraddle rounded up 15 different Cosima/Delphine erotic fantasies.
Fan Fiction Friday: Get In the Mood to Make Crazy Science With 15 “Orphan Black” Fics (Autostraddle)
Main post image via: GIRLSGETAHEAD: DOCUMENT JOURNAL (premiermodelstyle.com)