Sex News: Polanski, necrophilia, New Scientist personals, Sundance, cheerleader sleepovers
- Mainstream porn is dead. To wit, at the recent porn awards and expo: “… what I can say, and what surprised me, was the extent to which there seemed to be a palpable nostalgia for a bygone era. Take for example the “State of the Industry” panel. There was not a single woman on a panel devoted to discussing where the industry is headed. Not one. Instead, the panel consisted of five men, all of whom were white and appeared to be at least in their fifties. Ironically, on a panel about the future of the industry, the “big boys”—as they were described in the program—really wanted to discuss DVDs, a market, which, by all accounts, has been dying a slow death for years.”
Porno time warp? Final thoughts on the 2013 Adult Entertainment Expo (Las Vegas Weekly)
- RealTouch wants to bring teledildonics to Afghanistan. Company manager Scott Rinaldo, appearing at a CES party sponsored by porn firm Pink Visual, said he’s working on distributing “a thousand dildos for the military wives”—in this case, Internet-connected sex toys.
Infotech Arena: A Thousand Dildos For The Military Wives (Information Technology News)
- 500px, the popular photo-sharing app, has been pulled from the iOS App Store. The app, along with its partner ISO500, were pulled because of disagreement over an updated version, which would have allowed users to see nude images in search results.
500px photo apps pulled from iOS App Store over nude photos (updated: Apple responds) (The Verge)
- Director Roman Polanski has begun shooting an erotic comedy adapted from award-wining American play Venus in Fur.
Polanski shoots erotic comedy (Thenews.pl :: News from Poland)
- A forthcoming erotic novel being described as “fan fiction” will feature first couple Barack and Michelle Obama as protagonists-in-chief. GuestHouse Games, in which the Obamas, “alone in their isolated beachfront guesthouse in the tropical paradise of Kailua, Hawaii,” are “drawn into the ancient Hawaiian spiritual world and into the exploration of their own deepest and most forbidden desires.”
Forthcoming ‘Erotic’ Novel Features Barack and Michelle Obama (National Review Online)
- This is a big porn year for Sundance: In addition to Look of Love and Jon’s Addiction, there’s Lovelace, which will premiere latter this week and which profiles the star of Deep Throat. A BDSM documentary called Kink is there also, along with one of its producers, James Franco.
Don Jon’s Addiction, Lovelace, Kink: It’s a “big porn year” at Sundance (Slate)
- Last week a new lawsuit was filed against a different “involuntary porn” site (which the plaintiffs call “revenge porn“). The suit [PDF] against Texxxan.com takes a more direct approach than Randazza: it alleges that creating “revenge porn” violates Texas state privacy laws.
New lawsuit against “revenge porn” site also targets GoDaddy (Ars Technica)
- Pink Visual announced Tuesday that its longtime Sales Director Kristin Wynters has been elevated to vice president of the tech-focused adult studio, making official a role that Wynters has played for some time now, according to Pink Visual President Allison Vivas.
Kristin Wynters Named Vice President of Pink Visual (XBIZ)
- A quarter of a century ago, Cornell University Library began to gather books, letters, photographs and all sorts of ephemera related to sexuality — much of which was ignored or shunned by academia and society at large. That bold idea grew into the rich Human Sexuality Collection, which will honor the 25th anniversary of its founding with a host of events. Best-selling author Susie Bright, the country’s preeminent feminist sex writer, kicks off the celebration with a major donation of her archival materials and a talk on Cornell’s campus in Ithaca, N.Y. (next Wednesday, January 23).
Susie Bright to Donate Archives (Cornell University Library News)