— Will Catlin-Hallett (@Wyrm201) July 29, 2013
- The London Fire Brigade speculated that the popularity of erotic novel Fifty Shades of Grey may account for a rise in handcuffs incidents. Third Officer Dave Brown said “I don’t know whether it’s the ‘Fifty Shades’ effect, but the number of incidents involving items like handcuffs seems to have gone up.”
London fire brigade cites erotic novel for rise in handcuff incidents (USA Today)
- Vibease has never shied away from public attention. The Singapore startup drew guffaws when it debuted its smartphone-enabled vibrator at a startup conference in 2012 with its awkward yet effective pitch.
Smart vibrator Vibease debuts on Indiegogo, new spokesperson is creator of contentious Valley reality TV show (SGE)
- What leads some species to monogamy and others not has prompted scientists to come up with three possible explanations. Current headlines, like the one below, highlight that the study says some species have become monogamous through evolution and, for primates, infanticide is at its root.
The mystery of monogamy: scientists claim to have the answer (Guardian US)
- Red stripes on the straws and cups would indicate the drink has been contaminated with a date rape drug: It’s an idea Abramson has turned into a business, under the name DrinkSavvy. He’s working with two professors at his alma mater, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, to develop his first line of plastic straws and cups. He’s also working on glassware.
Boston Man Invents Straws And Cups That Detect Date Rape Drugs (WGBH News)
- “Of course they haven’t asked us what we think,” says Gracie Finlan, 24, a model who has appeared in Nuts, Zoo and the Daily Sport. “They don’t want to hear anything positive about the industry. The campaign has decided that glamour modelling is a bad thing and they won’t publicise anything that doesn’t back that up.”
What Glamour Models Have To Say About Lads Mags And Page 3 (HuffPo UK)
- Nothing is more emblematic of the American dream than chaotic mining and drilling towns such as Williston, North Dakota, and the people who flock to them in search of fortune. And no one knows better how these communities work — and don’t — than the traveling topless dancer.
Wildcatting: A Stripper’s Guide to the Modern American Boomtown (BUzzfeed)
- Stunned officers chipped away plaster at a record shop wall and unveiled a hidden list of names thought to belong to young victims of Jimmy Savile. Police believe the major breakthrough could lead to further arrests – including other well-known celebrities.
Jimmy Savile: Celeb arrests could soar after police discover DJ’s secret lair at record shop (Mirror UK)
- More than any other scientists before them, Masters and Johnson approached sex as a biological process to be observed, measured and analyzed. Virginia Masters died this week at age 88. Her work is credited with dispelling many long-held myths about sex, from the thought that penis size matters to the notion that old people don’t do it.
50 Years On, Research On Sex Can Still Be A Lightning Rod (NPR)
- The world’s first case study of a man who is sexually aroused by other people passing wind has now been published. A British psychologist has recorded the case of so-called “eproctophilia” in a 22-year-old man from Illinois, America.
50 Shades Of Smell: What Sex Fetish Is Eproctophilia? (HuffPo UK)
- “I feel uneasy about sex work, but here’s the thing: it’s not about me. It’s about the safety and dignity of those who are actually involved in the industry.”
Why I changed my mind about sex work (Guardian UK)
- YAY Ms. Naughty! “For the last 13 years, my mission has been to create porn with a more positive outlook, one that dispensed with the sexism and offensive language and tried to give priority to a woman’s pleasure and point of view.”
This woman has spent 13 years creating female friendly porn (MammaMia)
- I could not believe that the best birth control left in Iran – an Iran whose pharmaceutical market has been decimated by sanctions – were the same pills facing court action and considered a serious health threat in the United States.
When I Ran Out of Birth Control in Iran (IranWire)
- The chief editor of manga magazine Comic Mega Store and two others were arrested in Tokyo for allegedly distributing obscene images in two magazine both marked with 18+ labels. The three suspects are accused of selling Comic Mega Store magazine, with its sex scenes between males and females, and Nyan 2 Club, a magazine for reader-submitted adult photographs.
Tokyo Police Arrest 3 Over ‘Obscene’ Manga (XBIZ Newswire)
- Exactly how players hook up in “Wicked Paradise” isn’t something Van den Bosch will detail during the development phase. But he claims his game will succeed where others have failed because the visual quality of computer-generated images (CGI) is finally able to make practically life-like characters.
Sex and video games: Virtual reality erotica may be the Holy Grail (NBC News)
Do you have UK porn block fatigue? I do, from reading about a hundred million articles about it in the past few days, most of them crappy and hysterical about the concept of porn, or seemingly afraid they might ‘get some on them’ while writing about it. Below are are the best of the week so far, and they’re damn good.
David Cameron’s War On Internet Porn Lacks a Smoking Gun (VICE)
Has the UK ushered in an age of institutionalized censorship of open information? (The Grand Signal)
Survive the Claire Perry Internet (survivetheclaireperryinter.net)
UK Porn Filter Will Censor Other Content Too, ISPs Reveal (TorrentFreak)
Unblock Torrent Sites, Blocked Proxies, & Cameron’s Porn Filter With Immunicity (TorrentFreak)
Don’t Worry Government, I Got This Porn Filter Sorted (SickSad)