- Despite being mostly old men, Republican pundits and legislators seem to know a lot about female anatomy.
The Republican Guide to Female Anatomy (Nerve, via Dan Savage)
- This post about Cindy Gallop’s new porn startup – wherein she invents a genre that already existed – gets a massive slow clap from me. (I have no beef with Gallop, I just see things differently.)
For the win, from XBIZ:
“(…) But somehow women already in porn like Pink Visual President Allison Vivas, who is one of the most savvy and progressive women in the industry, often publicly expressing her concern to deliver porn that appeals to women’s tastes, is rarely mentioned by the “male-dominated porn” bashers. Others of note include Tristan Taormino’s female-centric video series, and Candida Royalle’s Femme Productions to name just a few.”
However, I do have to point out that XBIZ inaccurately describes Gallop as a sex educator. I recommended she take some trainings last year upon hearing her say she was venturing into ‘sex ed’ for her startup (I watched her pitch it at OVC, as first-of-its kind porn/sexed combo), but never heard back or found info about her sex ed background.
Cindy Gallop’s New Website Takes Aim at Porn’s Status Quo (XBIZ Newswire)
- A gay couple returning from vacation on a Continental Airlines (now merged to United) flight went to collect their luggage, to find that a private sex toy had been removed from one of their bags by baggage handlers, covered with a greasy foul-smelling substance, and taped prominently to the top of their bag. They are suing.
Gay Couple Sues United Airlines for Intentional Harassment (The Bilerico Project, via Charlie Glickman)
- I WANT TO BELIEVE. First it was rumors about The X-Files’ Mulder and Scully (sadly denied)… Now it’s Jon Snow and Ygritte from Game of Thrones.
Jon Snow And Ygritte From “Game Of Thrones” Are Dating In Real Life (Buzzfeed)
- Cultural controversy over Indian “18 Again” vaginal rejuvenating and tightening gel and its bizarre ad – and its “Like A Virgin” cover.
This Is How Vagina-Tightening Is Sold In India (Buzzfeed)
- In a Romney administration, abortions would be outlawed except in the case of women who have been raped, the Republican ticket has promised. So who’s going to be the first reporter to ask Romney or Ryan how they would implement that exception?
How would a woman prove rape to qualify for Romney’s abortion exception? (Reuters)
- Parents, members of the medical community, and other groups are suing a California school district over its abstinence-only sex ed curriculum saying the district is failing to uphold a 2003 law that requires sexual health education in public schools to be comprehensive, medically accurate, science-based, and bias-free. The ACLU said this is the first lawsuit of its kind.
Suit: Calif. District Fails to Provide Comprehensive Sex Ed (Education Week)
- According to a Morality in Media press release, the 2012 Republican Party platform has been changed to reflect a new commitment to fighting not just child pornography, but also certain adult pornography that they seek to define as illegal.
GOP Anti-Porn Plank Added To Draft Platform By Republican Committee (Reason)
- High-end Spanish brand of lingerie Jane Pain‘s new ad campaign won the 2012 Lapiz de Oro, Argentina’s highest advertising prize, and I find that its photos by Natasha Ygel are unsettling as fuck.
Provocative Lingerie Ads Will Have You Doing A Double Take (Buzzfeed)
- The porn industry says its production shutdown at the hands of a syphilis scare could last two weeks as all performers are treated, but industry attorney Michael Fattorosi says that, in light of a major syphilis outbreak in the European industry, the closure could happen for 90 days.
Porn’s European Syphilis Outbreak Bad Omen For L.A. Adult Industry Shutdown? (LA Weekly)
- Sarah Palin may be a no-show at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, but, for some delegates at least, it seems her porn star double Lisa Ann is an adequate substitute.
Sarah Palin-Impersonating Porn Star Strips for RNC Delegates at GOP-Themed Club in Tampa (Gawker)
- The female wing of a civil rights group is urging women in Togo to stage a week-long sex strike to demand the resignation of the country’s president. Women were asked to start withholding sex from their husbands or partners as of Monday
Sex strike a possible political weapon in Togo (CBS News)
- Porn performer Stoya writes up a neat little post on STIs, and acting like adults about sexually transmitted infections by contextualizing STIs along with other kinds of infections humans get in everyday life.
Stoya Loves Bad Ideas (Stoya™)
- SF Weekly interviews veteran porn performer Mr. Marcus who recently lied about testing positive for syphilis and altered the copy of his results so that those who employed him and performed with him would not know he was infected.
Talking with the Porn Performer Who Started the Syphilis Outbreak (SF Weekly)