Sex News: Katy Perry, Olympic sex test, financial fetishism, more Lara Croft, Hollie Stevens
- Here it comes: “(…) let’s talk about the shit storm broiling over the pre-release material for the next Tomb Raider game, in which the protagonist, Lara Croft, is retconned as a survivor of sexual and physical assault. (…) Industry mandarins seem to have assumed that gamers, by which they mean male gamers, can only carry on loving cold, powerful, beautiful Lara Croft if someone “break[s] her down”.”
Lara Croft and rape stories: breaking down the bitch (New Statesman)
- Even if you heard about this, the details are amazing (for all the wrong reasons) and deeply troubling. She said “vagina.” The House responded: “What she said was offensive,” said Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville. “It was so offensive, I don’t even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company.”
Lawmaker barred from speaking after ‘vagina’ comment (The Detroit News)
- As part of her recently completed PhD, Ms Monique Mulholland undertook a study involving children aged 13 to 16 from three high schools. While the study confirmed that young people are finding sexual images readily accessible, Ms Mulholland said they did not seem to be “taking over their hearts and minds”.
Teenagers not taken in by raunchy imagery (Flinders News)
- If you’re on Quertee, please vote for this USBGendered shirt so I can buy one!
- Morning-after pill now officially “not abortion.” The Food & Drug Administration quietly updated its consumer guide to birth control (PDF) this week, deleting claims that two kinds of contraceptives—the morning-after pill and the copper IUD—can prohibit an egg from implanting in the womb after fertilization. The changes are significant because a number of religious groups, pro-life activists, and politicians view contraceptives that prevent implantation as the equivalent of an abortion.
FDA Quietly Changes Its Guide to How the Morning-After Pill Works (The Daily Beast)
- Pro-porn activist on Twitter points out that British anti-porn feminist Gail Dines is participating in a Morality in Media anti-porn function – again. She has claimed to be politically and religiously unbiased.
- Liberty Media Holdings (LMH) is suing two roommates in New York, alleging the illegal downloading of a pornographic film, even though LMH argues that only one made the infringing copy. Remarkably, LMH claims that the non-downloading roommate is also responsible for copyright infringement, simply because the Internet subscription is in his name and he might have known his roommate sometimes made illegal downloads.
Porn maker’s lawsuit against roommate threatens free Wi-Fi (Network World)
- I hadn’t realized that my books had been honored as a Father’s Day favorite over the weekend! Yay! Comes with a bonus anti-VB comment from a conservative, neat: “It may damage your mind to know that your mother and father still are active in the bedroom, but sex is what keeps a marriage healthy.”
Gallery: 5 awesome and affordable Father’s Day gifts (ZDNet)
- Domme FF writes, “Financial fetishists come in a couple of different stripes, but they all have dayjobs in investment banking or hedgefund management. There is the guy who gets off on me asking him to buy me things of increasingly ridiculous expense while stroking his cock.”
Favoured Strangers: Notes on Financial Fetishism (Favourite Strangers)
- An anti-porn “boot camp” in Utah for teen boys? Yup. So, who’s up for a paramilitary rescue mission? You know I’ve got the skills. “some parents are taking drastic steps to reform their porn-addict sons (ages 13-19) – by sending them off to a desert ‘boot camp’ to help them overcome their troubling behaviour.”
Oxbow Academy: Desert boot camp helps teens beat addiction to internet porn (Mail Online)
- A new United Way of Greater Milwaukee teen pregnancy prevention campaign recently launched which likens sexual predators to rats and snakes. Print ads/posters feature teen girls, one with rats all over her, the other wrapped up in a snake.
Rats, Snakes ‘Have Sex’ With Young Girls (Adrants)