- People in the UK who want to watch pornography will have to prove they are 18 under new Government proposals to stem children’s exposure to online sex. New laws are being drawn up that will force adults to prove their age with credit card details or other documents before they can access porn sites. The UK’s Department for Culture, Media and Sport is also looking at ways to force overseas providers, such as the popular Luxembourg-based site Pornhub, to adopt similar controls.
Children will be blocked from watching online porn under new laws forcing websites to get proof users are aged 18 (DailyMail)
- Rachel Kramer Bussel writes, “I’ve rarely read a book that chilled and scared me the way writer Violet Blue’s The Smart Girl’s Guide to Privacy did. In this must-read for anyone who uses their laptop or phone to go online, Blue details the numerous ways women and LGBT people especially face security risks every time we go online, including identity theft, revenge porn, stalking, and all manner of scams.”
We Know What You Did On the Internet (DAME Magazine)
- John Danaher, a Keele University law school lecturer with an interest in the ways human life may be enhanced by robots and the ethics problems that stem from that, published a paper that examines whether sex work might one day be dominated by robots rather than human sex workers.
This Law School Professor Believes Robots May Lead To An Increase In Prostitution (Business Insider)
- New York-based comics Adam Lash and Kevin Gilligan have written 12 episodes of their yet to be produced mockumentary “Gighahoes.” To get the project off the ground and into production, they’ve started a Kickstarter campaign to raise $5,000. Set in the 2030s, the web series will follow the escapades of robots from an escort agency called Artificial Intercourse. In this fictional future, the business is the first to switch from using humans to androids for providing sexual services to clients.
‘Gigahoes’ Web Series Wants to Create Laughs with Sexbots (Future of Sex)
- Sex and real estate: Both are plenty complicated on their own; combine them, and you’re in for a messy situation. Still, city living drives some people to textbook-bad plans. Enduring vague sexual harassment to hold onto a rent-stabilized dream apartment? A tenant-with-benefits arrangement that satisfies both you and your super? In a rental market like New York’s, we understand that things can get kind of crazy. Here are 15 stories from the intersection of sex and rent.
15 People on Sex and Rent (NY Mag)
- “After each dating failure, I felt a mixture of sadness and relief. A failed date meant I didn’t have to worry about physical intimacy. It meant I didn’t have to worry about taking my clothes off in front of another person. It meant I didn’t have to face the chance of, at best, another Teachable Moment regarding transphobia, or at worst, mortal danger.”
Fumbling Towards Humanity: How Trans Grrrls Helped Me Open Up to My Partner (PinkLabel)
- Cognac faces pressure from China’s latest “anti-vice” campaign, targeting prostitution. In February, Chinese authorities launched a sweep of brothels across Dongguan, a southern metropolis known for its thriving erotic entertainment sector. In addition to boasting the “sex capital” of China, southern China is also the region with the country’s highest cognac consumption, according to the research consultancy Bernstein. Since February, over 2,400 hostess bars and the private-room karaoke clubs notorious for prostitution and known as “KTV houses” have been closed.
Global cognac sales depend on the health of China’s “erotic sector” (Quartz)
- When you read this post, you’ll start to understand why some porn performers are pissed that working-my-way-through-college stereotype Belle Knox is the media’s newly-anointed voice of porn stars.
Porn Stars R Stupid (Huffington Post)
- “The attendees were far from what “porn awards” may call to mind. The event was packed wall-to-wall, with every race, body type, minority and majority accounted for. “I get people calling me asking if they can come to the FPAs if they’re a guy, or if they could come with their wives,” FPAs creator Jansen told me. “Or I get people stopping me at the awards who say, ‘We’re just a nice couple that lives in North Toronto and we have kids and we heard about the event and we thought we’d come, and you know what? We had a really good time! This was really fun!’ and they come back year after year.”
Partying At The 9th Annual Feminist Porn Awards (Playboy.com)
Terry Richardson is such a special snowflake, and his enablers such pictures of unbridled fuckery, that this topic gets its own section today.
- It began as we’d expect. Yet another model came forward with yet another story about Creepy Uncle Terry, and his spokesdouche was on it like a mustache ride. “[Emma] Appleton’s tweet — the contents of which a spokeswoman for Richardson immediately dismissed to BuzzFeed as fake — again raises questions about whether leading fashion magazines and brands will continue to work with a photographer who has been accused repeatedly of demanding sex from models. “We have no plans to work with him in the future,” said the communications director for U.S. Vogue, Hildy Kuryk. The model who posted the Sunday’s allegation, Emma Appleton, told BuzzFeed that the message came from Terry Richardson’s Facebook account.” Appleton has since deleted her entire Twitter account.
Terry Richardson Spokeswoman Denies New Allegation (Buzzfeed)
- Next, Creepy Uncle Terry vaguely denied he pulled out the Pedobear clownsuit on models Emma Appleton, Jamie Peck, Liskula Cohen, Charlotte Waters and Rie Rasmussen – who have each come forward with separate allegations. He defended his artwork and omitted discussion of his behavior saying, “I collaborated with consenting adult women who were fully aware of the nature of the work, and as is typical with any project, everyone signed releases. I have never used an offer of work or a threat of rebuke to coerce someone into something that they did not want to do. I give everyone that I work with enough respect to view them as having ownership of their free will and making their decisions accordingly, and as such, it has been difficult to see myself as a target of revisionist history.”
Correcting the Rumors (Huffington Post)
- And then, while Vogue knew she’d stepped a Louboutin in something shitty but decided not to track it all the way back to the office, other magazines were like, look there’s BELLE KNOX.
Rolling Stone, GQ, And Other Magazines Silent On Terry Richardson Allegations (NAME)
- And then… Creepy Uncle Terry got a fixer. A whole lot of outlets started regurgitating this press release as news, saying that Emma Appleton is now kinda recanting, but also kinda not. Weirder, the PR says: “”Terry Richardson did not reach out to this woman. It was sent from a Facebook page that is fake. Terry has no knowledge of who sent this,” a spokesperson said. “Mr. Richardson has retained online forensic expert Theo Yedinsky to determine the actual origin of the faked posting.”" Right. Add the bizarre “fake Facebook page” claim to the addition of a “foresnics expert” and it’s *almost* the I Got Hacked claim, but not as obvious. But who is this magical forensics expert? If it’s this Mr. Yedinsky, Uncle Terry’s got a slick social media crisis campaign advisor on his team. (But sadly, not a forensics expert.)
Model regrets sharing sexual message she believed came from Terry Richardson (FOX 411)
- In new film Fading Gigolo, John Turturro plays Fioravante, a gentle bookstore employee who loses his part-time job when his boss Murray (Woody Allen) is forced to close down. Serendipitously, Murray learns that his dermatologist Dr Parker (Sharon Stone) is looking to arrange a ménage à trois with her friend (Sofia Vergara). Murray suggests that Fioravante is the perfect man for the job. After a little coaxing, Fioravante agrees to let Murray pimp him out.
John Turturro: ‘There are positive things about what sex workers do’ (Guardian UK)
- “Chase Bank has apparently decided to close quite a few bank accounts…and they all belong to people in the adult film industry! If you’ll recall, around this time last year, a lawsuit was filed against JPMorgan Chase claiming the bank violated fair lending laws and its policy for refusing to underwrite a loan for ‘moral reasons.’
And now, the bank is apparently hitting the porn industry again as we’ve been EXCLUSIVELY told hundreds of letters went out to those in the adult film industry saying their accounts would be closed on May 11, 2014.”
Porn Stars Are Getting The Shaft From Chase Bank! AGAIN!! Accounts Closed For 100s In The Biz?! (Perez Hilton)
I found Barcelona, Spain based Gunsmithcat’s Deviant Art page by way of Sex In Art, and it’s kind of like erotic art junk food: it’s hard to stop picking through it all even when it’s not exactly to taste.
I found his work so compelling I made it all the way to his Blogspot blog, but some if it may offend – so be warned.
- Top Off – Aidra Fox (photo above)
- Katerina Kay – Feel The Magic
- Delphine, Dido Angel – For All To See
Belgium based B-Classic has started The Classical Comeback Video: “a new music video format that gives classical music the same recognition as pop and rock music by combining the timeless emotion of classical music with the visual talent of a contemporary director.” It’s open to submissions. “The Classical Comeback is a creative format open to anyone” and they have just a few rules, such as submission length under five minutes.
Above is the first entry for the project, Dvořák – Symphony No. 9 Allegro con fuoco in E-Minor (From the new world – Smetana The Moldau IV Allegro con fuoco, Herbert Von Karajan & Wiener Philharmoniker, Deutsche Grammophone – Universal Music). It’s directed by Raf Reyntjens with choreography by Ari & Miu (Waveya). And, it has been making the rounds on blogs and linkbait sites without any of its interesting context or explanations. B-Classic tells us,
Raf Reyntjens shot B-classic’s first Classical Comeback video in South Korea. Where the local Wayeva group performed their unique choreography on Dvorak’s New World. Asia today is what America was 100 years ago: the new world. Great composers like Dvorak did write their music for everyone. Their goal was to give people a break, let them escape from reality and to move them.
- One of the strangest of the early trial-and-error home game phases came in the 1980s when a number of pornographic titles hit the market for the Atari 2600.
Red Hot Blocky Porn: Atari’s Lost Adult Titles (PC Mag)
- Right now, beards are in, but a team of scientists suggest we may be nearing “peak beard.” This is more than just a bit of a fashion advice—the fact that we’re so fickle about facial hair says something interesting about human sexual selection.
What “Peak Beard” Says About Human Sexual Selection (Smithsonian Magazine)
- Warning: extreme animal cruelty warning in this story. A second adult fetish model was arrested Wednesday for her role in a series of porn videos that Miami-Dade police say depicted the decapitation of chickens and deaths of other animals. Her arrest comes less than two weeks after authorities charged another model, Sara Zamora, 28, with eight felony counts of animal cruelty.
Model in Miami-Dade animal torture porn case granted bond (Miami Herald)
- Since 1983, Larry Flynt has sent the monthly magazine he founded, Hustler, to each and every member of Congress. Following the complaints from 264 congressional offices in 1984, the U.S. Postal Service asked the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to block the mailings. But that request failed when the court ruled two years later that the delivery of the magazine could not be stopped.
Why Every Member of Congress Gets a Monthly Porn Delivery (NAME)
- “I think this woman is wrong about something on the Internet. Clearly my best course of action is to threaten her with rape.” That’s crazy talk, right? So why does it happen all the time? Honest question, dudes.
Fake Geek Guys: A Message to Men About Sexual Harassment (Comics Alliance)
- “For reasons too complex and bizarre to explain in full, I found myself needing to learn the craft of ballooning such that I could create sculptures of genitalia to support a lecture series at a museum. Such a ludicrous skill should not be kept secret, so I shall share it here. What follows is a not at all safe for work guide to balloon making.”
NSFW Balloon Animals (Mad Art Lab, thanks JWZ!)
- “Earlier today, scientists announced they’d discovered an insect with a new kind of female sex organ. It looks a bit like a penis, and is called a gynosome. But almost every news outlet covered the story by describing the insects as “females with penises.” This isn’t just painfully wrong — it’s bad for science.”
Your Penis Is Getting in the Way of My Science (i09)
- While everyone Wu-Tang publicly distances themselves from Christ Bearer since he hit the headlines with his peen-ectomy, it has been reported that they could not reattach his genitalia. Meanwhile, if you’re curious about the gruesome details about the event, NY Daily News has every terrifying detail.
Wu-Tang Clan-affiliated rapper Andre Johnson was high on PCP when he sliced off penis: report (NY Daily News)
- All due respect to this writer, but she got the headline wrong. Mr. Harvey does not need to have a seat, Mr. Harvey needs to shut the fuck up.
Why Steve Harvey Needs to Have a Seat (HuffPo)
- Sex Criminals is a great comic, and one that was hit with unfair bullshit by Apple censors, but this is another wrong headline. The first two things stated about sex in this article are astonishingly incorrect. There is a G-spot (so much science on this!) and the mechanics of female pleasure are not elusive.
The Man Behind the Comic Book That Finally Got Sex Right (WIRED)
- Michael Egan, who is suing “X-Men” director Bryan Singer for drugging and raping him in the late 1990s, had won a $2 million default judgment against another man mentioned in the new lawsuit.
‘X-Men’ director Bryan Singer’s alleged rape victim won default judgment in related case (NJ.com)
- In an area where the sexually active are ashamed to buy condoms, it’s no surprise an estimated 1.6M Kenyans struggle with HIV/AIDS. Nairobi-based Center for African Family Studies (CAFS) teamed up with Kenyan artist Michael Soi to create a funky condom line with pop art-inspired packaging. The NGO came up with the idea after posting pictures of glow-in-the-dark, printed, and flavored condoms obtained from a Capetown HIV conference on Facebook. Youth started to call and ask where they could purchase them…
Kenyan NGO Promotes Safe Sex Thru Colorful Condom Wrappers (ClutchMag)
- Spreadsheets (the sex activity app that analyzes data from movement and audio levels using your phone’s accelerometer and microphone) previously gave us a state-by-state breakdown of sex and now they’ve gone global with the data. As a country, the U.S. has the most sex with an average of 3 minutes and 45 seconds. China is #2 in amount of sex but is a full minute behind us.
Map shows which country has the most sex and which has the longest sex (Sploid/Gizmodo)
- No, you don’t get to abuse and dilute the First Amendment because you want to pretend it’s your right to post shit to hurt a woman because you don’t like her. I think XKCD summed it up perfectly, but this article is also excellent.
Debunking the First Amendment Myths Surrounding Revenge Porn Laws (Forbes)